Typically, I go to bed at midnight. I wake up by 6:30 am. For the most part, I’m tired, suffer from head aches and stomach aches throughout the day. Every now and again, the evil migraine headache hits. Even worse than all of the physical issues, is my attitude towards the kids and husband. While I believe that every post for me will involve my feelings of guilt, I will try to only mention it once in this post. I feel guilty for being tired grumpy. It’s the kind of tired that exists when the level of exhaustion you have reached allows you to function only on a level that will allow you to meet the needs of your children. If husband is in the way, ”Let me help you”, he might get pushed. That or we might have a nice, sweet discussion about how tired I am and him helping will only make things worse. This occurs at least on a weekly basis in my home. My OCD issues aren’t welcoming to other family members helping with the cleaning. So, what I thought for today’s post, is a game of sort. I will list my nightly routine for everyone to review and critique. I do all of these things EVERY night of the week. This is what is keeping me up until midnight or midnight 30.
- Get home and put dirty dishes from work in the sink.
- Greet crazy Addie doggie and give 2 yr old hugs.
- Check w/the 11 yr old to get started on homework.
- Help husband finish making dinner and get the kids set to eat.
- Wash the kid, clear and wash the table.
- 11-yr old finishes homework, husband hangs w/the baby.
- Mon, Tues and Thurs - 11-yr old goes to swim team or basketball.
- I do dishes – OCD – a lot of dishes. I start with putting everything in the dishwasher. I hand wash the items that need hand washing. I clean the counters and stove top. I then get a new wash cloth to hand wash sippy cup lids, pacifier lids and then my coffee cup. I then wash out my coffee maker pieces. Whew, that takes forever!
- I give the baby a bath. Dad dries and lotions him up.
- I put a load of laundry in. I wash and dry a load every night.
- 11-yr old takes his shower, brushes his teeth and takes meds. Goes to bed.
- After kids are in bed, I finish any dishes left, put laundry away and move the newly washed load into the drier.
- Either husband or I does a quick vacuum in the kitchen table area and in the kitchen.
- I take a shower because I can’t stand to go to sleep w/out a shower.
- I set up the covers on the bed and check the alarm.
- Iron any clothes for the next day at work.
- Plug phones in.
- I have checked FB probably 5 times because I’m so addicted, but am checking it once before bed time while eating my bowl of cereal. Eeek, it’s a wonder I’m gaining a few poundolas.
And midnight is here and I’m tired. Ready for the cycle to start again. Everyday the same. Something Has Got to Give! I received a comment on a previous post that 8-9 hours of sleep is a must. So, I’m going to try to let go of a few of my nightly routines to get to a 10:30 pm bed time. I’m not doing very well tonight, as I felt a blog post was in order. But, there is hope for jumping into bed before midnight. Progress.
Am I insane? What am I doing wrong? What do I stop doing that would allow me to maintain my sanity? Too much, not enough? Do my other working mom friends and acquaintances have a 10 o’clock bed time ritual down to a science? Help this Rush Hour Mom get to bed earlier!! Thanks again for reading, I can’t wait to hear all of your stories and possible suggestions for meeeeeee.
I haven’t even mentioned trying to sort through and pay bills one or two days a week. We are ignoring our budget and that is NO GOOD!!! There, I mentioned it. ICK.